Friday, March 14, 2014

Mavericks Compatibilty


After doing a clean install of Mavericks on our 2007 silver iMac, I logged into my App Store account to download the iLife programs and iWork programs. I was very entertained to see that iMovie (the current version) would not download because my iMac did not meet the guidelines for video cards. Everything else seems to have updated just fine. I was able to copy over a older version of iMovie and it works. However my Dock shows one “available” application update which of course I can’t install. Keep in mind we have several machines and that I did clone the old drive before doing the wipe and clean install, so I would not have been in trouble if there had been more incompatible items. This is not really a question, but rather a word of warning, that even if Apple says your machine can run Mavericks it may not run everything,depending on how the configured machine was built. I know that higher models in this series had fancier video cards that may work fine. Mine has a ATI Radeon 2600 with 256 MB GDDR3. (Update: The good news is that Apple seems to have fixed the installer for iMovie and it now installs and works on my 2007 iMac. So there is a good chance this was a bug that Apple had not tested for in this version of iMovie.)

No comments: