Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Why I'm not hot to buy a new computer

There was a time when I would think of buying a new computer and I would know exactly which computer that I wanted. Apple has made this very very difficult for me at this time. In order to buy the computer configuration that I really want, I have to buy a 15 inch MacBook Pro built in 2012. They simply do not make a MacBook Pro that I actually would like at this current time. So what's so different that I can't just go out and buy one as it stands today? Well to be truthful, the whole idea of everything in my MacBook Pro being glued to the top of the case or the bottom of the case (everything being soldered solidly in) kind of goes against my upgradability thinking. I really feel uncomfortable not being able to upgrade my RAM at some future date or not being able to swap out my own hard drive. The sheer fact that I couldn't even change my battery because of all the components that are glued to it requires having a technician swap out the battery, and current pricing for this is around $400. Now I do know that Steve Jobs was really into building "toaster ovens" so basically you put information in, you get information out; you never open the machine, everything's built in already and one package serves all. Jony Ives loves this because it's smooth and streamlined and beautiful. I like smooth and streamlined and beautiful, but you know on the bottom of my case having some removable doors to allow me to swap out hard drives  and a battery that isn't glued into the case, it can’t that hard to engineer, even with that wonderful case design. So how about spending a couple billion on designing products that will not cost the consumer an arm and a leg to make a change or get an upgrade. After all, we are paying top dollar for these well-designed computers so why not allow some expandability into the design. 

No comments: